[Apex Legends] Kill feed does not work properly

Related game:
Apex Legends (Steam)

Related app:
Apex Legends Tracker

Issue description:
Apex Legends was updated this week, and kill_feed stopped working properly in some cases.

For example, it does not notify about Finisher anymore:

However, kill was fired:
{"name":"kill","data":"{\r\n \"victimName\": \"Benjyskan\"\r\n}"}
while we expect to receive klll_feed as well.

Moreover, we receive a lot of events when the action name is not specified at all. For example:
{"name":"kill_feed","data":"{\r\n \"attackerName\": \"valter.dolby\",\r\n \"victimName\": \"[CZSK]lukasrict\",\r\n \"weaponName\": 0,\r\n \"action\": 0\r\n}"}

In this example, we expect to get both weaponName and action but they are zero. In some matches, it happens more than 10 times and tracking becomes insufficient in the app.

Can you reproduce it:
Yes, just play and zeroes in actions. Try to finish an opponent and check if there is a kill_feed event.

Impact for my app:
High, it’s probably affection all users.

Do you currently have a workaround?
No.

This is the time when the finisher was performed on the image above:
2021-03-13 15:32:37,102

OverwolfLogs_2021-03-13_15-47-04.zip (1.3 MB)

“Bleed Out” does not work anymore either. The app could not logs those events. I suppose there’s a similar problem for “Melee” and other labels.

Another example is Fall which is not available in kill_feed (see 2021-03-13 21:07):

One more example is shown on the image above too (see 2021-03-13 21:07:39,104).

Overwolf reports the following event where weaponName and action are not available but you can clearly see them in the game:
{"name":"kill_feed","data":"{\r\n \"attackerName\": \"[SSJ]unlyx\",\r\n \"victimName\": \"PomoRuS\",\r\n \"weaponName\": 0,\r\n \"action\": 0\r\n}"}

This issue happened 5 times during 2 minutes in a single match.

OverwolfLogs_2021-03-13_21-08-37.zip (1.2 MB)

Hi, and thanks for the feedback.

We will check the issue and we will update you here.

Thanks.

hey @surgeon,
First off - a disclaimer - currently there is a new event in apex which caused a few issues with certain features and this event should end in a day or two and if memory serves, everything should go back to normal after that.

Second, I’ve just tested the current version and at least from my findings it appears that kill_feed is reporting the information correctly.

We can provide you with a special debugging dll to try and pinpoint this issue if you believe that you can reproduce this.

Yes, please, I can try to reproduce again.

Also, this event isn’t really a new game mode like “Winter Express” or “Shadowfall”. If I’m not mistaken, since Season 7, they have different variations of Duos and Trios every few weeks (“Airdrop Escalation”, “Locked and Loaded”, and now “Ring Fury Takeover”). The current variation will run until March 23. So, we expect everything to work like in regular Duos and Trios because similar events will be available in the future.

Attaching the plugin here.
gep_apex.zip (286.4 KB)

This is what you need to do:

1. Open Overwolf settings
  2. Go to “About” tab
  3. Click “Developer Options”
  4. Open “Overwolf Games Events Provider” via the UID under it.
  5. Go to plugins/64 folder and paste the dll there - overwriting the current one.

Once you use this one and the situation still persists - make sure you go to Overwolf log folder (AppData\Local\Overwolf\Log), there you will find a ‘gep_plugin.log’ file which you need to send over to us.

Please it is very important you also record a video of this scenario as you reproduce it.

Let me know if you need anything else.

Here’s an example when “Bleed Out” is represented as zero (the second event):

2021-03-14 21:55:34,686 (INFO) {"name":"kill_feed","data":"{\r\n  \"attackerName\": \"[Boys]NiQUELLO_GG\",\r\n  \"victimName\": \"AxEntreri\",\r\n  \"weaponName\": \"mastiff\",\r\n  \"action\": \"knockdown\"\r\n}"}

2021-03-14 21:55:36,697 (INFO) {"name":"kill_feed","data":"{\r\n  \"attackerName\": \"[Boys]NiQUELLO_GG\",\r\n  \"victimName\": \"AxEntreri\",\r\n  \"weaponName\": 0,\r\n  \"action\": 0\r\n}"}

2021-03-14 21:55:36,726 (INFO) {"name":"kill_feed","data":"{\r\n  \"attackerName\": \"[Boys]NiQUELLO_GG\",\r\n  \"victimName\": \"04stripes\",\r\n  \"weaponName\": \"mastiff\",\r\n  \"action\": \"kill\"\r\n}"}

Logs:
gep_plugin.log (163.4 KB)

I’ll upload a video in Slack.

Here’s another example when my “Finisher” is not available at all (only kill was fired):

2021-03-14 22:26:13,477 (INFO) {"name":"kill","data":"{\r\n \"victimName\": \"Ex-Si'tato'rr□\"\r\n}"}

Logs:
gep_plugin.log (457.2 KB)

One more example when “Finisher” was not fired at all (only kill was fired):

2021-03-14 22:43:48,707 (INFO) {"name":"kill","data":"{\r\n \"victimName\": \"Nholo\"\r\n}"}

Logs:
gep_plugin.log (120.3 KB)

Thank you very much guys, this will go a long way in helping us debug this.

We’ll take a look first thing in the morning and will update you as soon as there’s any news.

Can you please confirm whether this issue is still happening to you with our new versions of GEP?

No, it’s not happening right now from what I see, I could not reproduce it.

Then i’ll close the ticket for the time being.

If you encounter something like this again let us know.