Detecting if game has a cursor available or if user needs to hit ctrl + Tab to access app window

• Feature Description:
    To improve UX for apps that show interactive windows in games that don’t provide a cursor, it would be great to be able to detect the situation and handle it accordingly.
  • impact for my app: mid.
  • What is your current pain point?
    We need to do a hyperthetical FTUE to educate users about having to press ctrl+tab.
    It would be better if we could do a prominent Note when it is actually needed.
  • What do you have in mind to solve it?
    Adding it to the overwolf API (running game info) if possible

@Colorfulstan Hi.

Can you tell me which games you are referring to and describe the desired scenario that you see as a solution. For example: When Fortnite launches, the app is auto-launched, call the X API to detect the no-cursor situation, and then display a notification/FTUE.

I want to understand this feature request clearly.

Thanks.

Yes you understand correctly.
It can be used for either FTUE or varying UX if there is a permanent cursor or not.

I would love to see this information being available in either 1) the running game info, or through 2) a dedicated API.

1. might be the most intuitive developer experience and also could include event based handling through the onRunningGameChange (not sure it’s the actual name)
    1. might ideally include such events too of course (OnCursorBehaviourChanged?)

A bit more on the reasoning:
Because some users might never play games without a permanent mouse cursor, showing them the FTUE would be redundant or even detrimental to the user onboarding.
Detrimental because:
If they happen to play such a game after all once in a while, they most likely forgot the FTUE and are confused again.

Ah games im referring to are basically all shooters I guess.

Specifically one user had “issues“ in brawlhalla getting confused

Hi @Colorfulstan,

We added this feature request to our backlog.
We don’t have an ETA, though, and that can take some time to implement and release. Thank you for your patience.
We will update you here once it is ready.

Thanks.

1 Like

I think this is now in with this:
https://overwolf.github.io/docs/api/overwolf-games#overlayinfo-object

isCursorVisible and exclusiveModeDisabled

1 Like