Dota 2 / plugin_error / failed_initializing_monitor

Related app/team name (not a must if you want to keep it private): Dota Coach

Issue Description: The user can’t connect to the Overwolf plugin somehow and I can’t figure out how to fix it.

Can you reproduce it (exact steps to reproduce): It happens with some of our users. As this user still has the issue and I think it is related to the Overwolf platform, maybe you can talk to him directly?

Impact for my app: [e.g. x% of the users complained about it, it’s a show-stopper] I don’t know that. Hard to say.

Do you currently have a workaround? No, he can’t use the app.

Log file export from background.html.3.log:
2022-05-05 12:59:36,716 (INFO) </dist/background/background.js> (:10387) - 12:59:36.712: overwolfEventManager.getInfo(): result = {“success”:true,“status”:“success”,“res”:{“gep_internal”:{“version_info”:“{"local_version":"197.1.14","public_version":"197.2.1","is_updated":false}”},“error”:{“plugin_error”:“failed_initializing_monitor”},“match_info”:{“pseudo_match_id”:null},“game”:{“game_state”:“idle”,“match_state”:null},“me”:{“steam_id”:null,“team”:null}}}

Please reproduce and attach a zip package of your OW client logs
Please mention the time of the event so we can find it easily in the logs
logs.zip (206.1 KB)

Hi Michel, thank you for making us aware of this.

Since we could not reproduce this, a few questions:

• Can you specify what exact sequence of actions did the user perform when the issue occurred?
  • If it is perfectly consistent for that user, what might be different in that user’s installation when compared to another user that does not have this problem?
  • Can you find two users that are both experiencing this specific issue, and try to see what do they have in common?

Dear Dr. Oyster,

Thank for your message. To answer these questions I would have to sit on my user’s computers, which is really hard to do.

Maybe another approach would be to better understand what is happening with your plugin. I had about 40 app starts yesterday and the day before who got a “failed_initializing_monitor” error. Can you see at your end why that it? Do you track these issues?

Best regards,
Michel

Hi Michel,

We do track these and the numbers aren’t alarming. In general it is not a big issue if it doesn’t happen to a specific user consistantly.

That being said, if it is the case, we want you to make that user open a support ticket, so support can take it from there and figure out the cause from that particular user, since we cannot reproduce it on our side, and as you mentioned - you cannot answer some of the needed questions for the case without having access to the user :slight_smile:

HI there,

Alright, let’s do that.

We added a message in the app, when a plugin_error occurs - now the users get informed when the app is not working properly.

The user claims to have the issue all the time, so I’ll tell him to open a ticket with Overwolf.

Thank you for your support!

Regards,
Michel

1 Like