events.getInfo(cb) for new world updates no location data anymore

Related app/team name (not a must if you want to keep it private): NW Buddy (unreleased)
Issue Description: getInfo function calls give game_info (gi) but not gi.location with new world latest update, verified issue as data changes when logging in, but just not location data anymore. AGS’s doing?
Can you reproduce it (exact steps to reproduce): call overwolf.games.events.getInfo() with nodejs for new world game.
Impact for my app: [e.g. x% of the users complained about it, it’s a show-stopper] Its a minimap overlay so its kinda all data i actually had :frowning:
Do you currently have a workaround? Probably making my own GEP extension. but rather not.

Please reproduce and attach a zip package of your OW client logs => DONE
Please mention the time of the event so we can find it easily in the logs
Over the span of a few days from when new world was last updated, I had expected myself to fuckup coding really so i just kept refactoring my code, altho my debug logger was telling me the location was undefined, i just didnt understand why.

All data is there but just the location is taken out, maybe AGS did this by changing where the location value was stored in memory so overwolf has the wrong pointers, i also added my own log from local log-server i made to check what the app was doing. this log just shows a logged json string that it has recieved after logging in, and as you can see it shows that all the data is present except locationdata

I have discussed this in great length with community managers in dev discord for overwolf and they send me here to report on the issue, everyone is in understanding that events were not working for a bit, but I noticed my app broke just as soon as new world got the new brimstone sands expansion update, I can see however the point in why AGS would temporarily disable this datapoint as they dont want bots having easy access on the release bc that would look bad if nobbody would be able to gather resources in the new continent. But new world is so full of farming bots that theres normally no spot leftover even tho its a huge world. So this makes the most sense to me with the other statements i made
minimap.logs.zip (28.1 KB)

Hello @DaveInchy, thank you for the feedback, some users are experiencing issues with the location info since the last update. We are looking into it and we’ll update you here once the issues are resolved.

A couple of users have reported that it works fine on their Windows 10 machines, but not Windows 11 - if that helps?

From what we’ve seen, it’s not a direct correlation, but it does help to know that, so thanks! We’ll let you know here if we have any details we need to check that might differentiate between systems where it works and systems where it doesn’t.

1 Like

Hi, developer of Aeternum Map here.
Some of my users reported the same issue and I can approve, that only location is missing.
It only effects some users and we already shared log files with Overwolf too.

The workaround for me was to fallback to OCR/screen capturing, if location is missing.
It’s not as good as the API solution, but at least, users can still use the app.

If you like to implement OCR too, feel free to send me a DM on Discord (DevLeon#4001). I am happy to share my experience here :).

Hey! amazing that you are able to do it with OCR, i would love to ask you some questions surely. You are doing a great job on your minimap plugin. I am still in my alpha phases because my OCR and Object recognition is not working as desired. I would love to release it soon but it has been a longtime project for me.

I will send you a friend request on discord.

1 Like