[Fortnite] Receving hit events that never happened, long after death

Related Games:

Fortnite

Issue Description:

The issue has been identified in 2 games during the same testing session. The tester is killed but after receiving the death and killer events we also receive additional hit events that never happened in the game. These arrive before the matchEnd event. the gap between the death events and the first hit event after it is 5 seconds for the first game and 34 seconds for the second game.

For the first game the tester reports 1 hit in total, we received 1 before the death and 3 more after. In the second, we received an in game screenshot showing 0 headshots, but one of the 3 hits coming in after the second game’s death event is a headshot so we count one.

Can you reproduce it (exact steps to reproduce):

unclear how to trigger the issue. The only distinguishing feature of the games are their short duration, but there is no indication that it plays a role

Impact for my app:

unknown number of players having incorrect stats that are calculated from hits. The impact is more severe if events other than hits are also affected, it’s is unclear if it’s the case.

Do you currently have a workaround?

No workaround in place. It seems possible to stop counting hits after the first death event occurs, in solo games only. non-solo would games require more time invested to first nail down the semantics of events concerned with death/revival/elimination/etc.

It’s unclear if events other than hits are also affected.

The games where the issues were seen are the ones ending 2021-04-25 15:31:57.582Z and 2021-04-25 16:01:27.417Z
fortnite-hit-events.zip (25.3 KB)

Hey @tomNC

We have heard of some situations in Fortnite that are similar to what you are describing. We tried to replicate this in some internal testing but could not manage to reproduce it.

If we provide you with a debugging plugin to help us identify the issue, do you think you could try and make it happen again for you possibly with a video recording of it?

Hi @Shargaas

Thanks for your reply. It looks like there is interest on our end to provide you more debugging info using your tool, if we manage to reproduce the issue.

It’s not going to be done by myself or my team, so I’m waiting to hear back from my PO who is making it happen. I’ll be back as soon as I hear from them :slight_smile:

Alright, we want to make sure whoever does the debugging process is someone we can also trust, so i’ll wait for your reply.

Hi,

can you provide the instructions to debug and send you back the information please?

It will be done by our internal QA.

Hey @tomNC

GEP-output.zip (1.3 MB)
I’ve attached a plugin .dll which should help us debug this problem when it happens on your local computer.

Please follow these instructions:

1. Take the dll file and copy it
  2. Open Overwolf settings
  3. Go to ‘About’ tab
  4. Click “Development Options”
  5. Click the UID under “Game Events Provider”
  6. Go to Plugins/64
  7. Paste it there, override the existing file.

Now just play fortnite/do whatever you do in fortnite regularly.

If you stumble upon this problem again, please immediately go to the following location:

C:\Users(Your PC)\AppData\Local\Overwolf\Log - and send us the ‘gep_plugin’ file.

Thank you!

Thanks @Shargaas we’ll run some tests with this and get back to you soon :slight_smile:

1 Like

Hi @Shargaas we came across a game with a similar issue and managed to get some debug information recorded. I’m attaching a zip archive with all the relevant data.

In the game with a matchEnd event @ 2021-05-31T17:09:21.628Z we received a hit event 15 seconds after a death event.

I’m waiting for a reply regarding whether we have a recording of the game, if there is one I will provide that later.

bug.zip (56.6 KB)

Perfect @tomNC ,

Thank you, we’ll check it and get back to you shortly.

We found the issue, and we’ll release a fix for it tomorrow @tomNC

Update: I know we said today, but due to some fires that need to be put out, might take another day or so.

Will try to keep you posted.

That’s great news, thanks for letting us know.

Hey @tomNC ,

Just wanted to let you know we started phasing out the fix for this issue.
Should not happen within a few hours from now.
I’ll close this ticket for now, and if this still occurs feel free to reply here to re-open it.

Have a good day :slight_smile:

1 Like