Get currently authenticated Steam User

• Feature Description: It would be beneficial to get the currently authenticated Steam user, either on game launch, or at Overwolf/Steam launch (whichever happens last) so that our application can load data earlier than match load
  • impact for my app: mid
  • What is your current pain point?: Currently the first opportunity to get player_id is when the match begins, this doesn’t leave the user any time to explore/customize/discover the app and figure out how they want to use it
  • What do you have in mind to solve it?: It would be nice if there was a event emitted when the player changes, as well as a way to get the current player id

Hi @gu3st,

Can you please tell me which game we are talking about?

Thanks,
Eran

DOTA 2. I know currently I can get the player id from the “me” event, but that fires upon joining match.

Checking it. I will update you here.

Thanks

@gu3st Hi.

So after checking the issue, there is no way to get the local player’s steam id when launching it.

We can check how to implement this feature, and if that possible, push it to our backlog.
Anyway, to prioritize it right, can you please tell me how critical this feature for your app is?

I feel like it’s pretty important in terms of the user flow through the application. As we’re grabbing their player stats, the earlier we can do that as well as present to the user our application interface for them to explore/customize before they start a match is ideal. Also if users share computers or have multiple accounts then we can display the relevant data rather than “last user” data.

@gu3st Hi,

We added this feature request to our backlog.
We don’t have an ETA, though, and that can take some time to implement and release. Thank you for your patience.
We will update you here once it is ready.

Thanks.

1 Like