Hotkey release not detected by lol

Issue Description:
I have the hotkey Z on my app to show the overlay. The same hotkey is enabled for another thing in lol (in my case attack only champions).

The overlay is clickable, and when clicking on it the overlay works just fine. When releasing the hotkey after a click the overlay hides but in lol it remains stuck in attack only champions mode.

Can you reproduce it (exact steps to reproduce):
Show an overlay,
Click on it,
See that the hotkey is not detected as released in lol

Impact for my app: no users right now, but it creates a very bad user experience
Do you currently have a workaround?: nope

The manifest

"showoverlay": {
    "title": "Show/Hide In-Game Window",
    "action-type": "custom",
    "default": "Z",
    "passthrough": true,
    "hold": true
  }

Hi, and thanks for the feedback.

We will check the issue and we will update you here.

Thanks.

@Dan Usually, the app hotkeys are combinations with modifiers keys. e.g., `Alt+Z
Your specific scenario is problematic in some way as it seems that the game “catch” you customized game hotkey (Z) as expected, right after OW caught it as well (as expected).

So I would say that I recommend changing your app hotkey to Alt+Z, for example. Can you give it a try and confirm that it solves the issue?

On the top of my head, I can also think of registering to the release hotkey event and then sending the Z key into the game using OW API (should disable the “attack only champions mode”). Not sure that it will, but it worth a try.

I can discuss other options with the team, but I really recommended changing your hotkey combination and using one of the modifier keys (Alt, Ctrl, Shift).

Please update.

Thanks.
.`

Hey @eransharv,

According to your suggestion I tried to send a keystroke using the utils API. Sending the hotkey right when Z was released didn’t work and I had to delay it a bit. Setting a timeout of 100ms works like a charm!

Thank you!

That’s great! Regardless, I still recommend considering adding a modifier to your hotkey to avoid similar cases. Good luck!

Hey, reviving this as the issue is still there and found out that sending the keystroke to the game does not work on all keystrokes which are used by the game also.

For now I show a warning when user tries to change his default hotkey (Shift+Tab) to something that does not contain a modifier key

Edit: there is another issue that I found - when trying to set the hotkey to Shift+Z Overwolf says invalid hotkey, but Shift+Tab or Shift+Space is accepted. Is this a bug or is it intended like that.

Can there be done anything on OW side about this?

Thanks,
Dan

Hi @Dan,

Can you please create a new ticket for the new issue? (can’t define hotkey with Shift+some key).
As it’s not related to the original issue.

Thanks!