In game chat events

• Feature Description: Add an event for incoming chat messages, example, party chat, lobby chat, private message, draft chat, etc.

• impact for my app: low

• What is your current pain point? - My app depends on sharing a “secret” between party members, currently, one member has to manually copy the secret from the overlay into a chat channel, and other members have to copy it back into their overlay windows. Using the chat method, the overlay can automatically pick up on the chat message and apply the secret automatically.

• What do you have in mind to solve it? - Provide an event in overwolf.games called onChatEvent which is fired for every incoming chat event with the chat message text as well as the channel that the message arrived on (party, lobby, draft, private, etc…)

note for stuff: after FR is accepted, add a link to the internal ticket.

@paviad have you consider to move this logic to the server side? i mean, if team X needs to share a “secret”, you can save it on the server and all the team members can fetch it from there. I think you understand the direction. Anyway i will discuses this internally and let you know. thanks.

The current procedure (without the chat events feature) is this:

1. One player in the group opens the overlay interface (Ctrl+Shfit+F), clicks “Copy” then goes into some chat channel for the group and does paste (Ctrl+V)
  2. The other 4 members, copy the message, open the overlay interface, pastes the message and clicks “Join Group”

The procedure with the events is this:

1. Same as above.
  2. Happens automatically

So with the chat events, there are many person-actions which are removed from the process.

OK.

We will discuss the matter internally, and then we’ll make a decision.

Usually, it takes a few days. We will update you here.

Thanks.

hi @paviad,

We will add this feature request to our backlog, but in lower priority, as it’s not high priority feature.
Thanks for the feedback.
I will close this ticket for now, as it might take some time to implement. I will re-open as necessary.