[Logs] Some Logs are saved for longer than others

Related app: Outplayed

Issue Description:
As an app developer, I would like to access pall the available logs from a certain timeframe.

as you can see in the logs below, it seems like the inGameIndex logs date back to a more than a month ago, while background and index have a single log file.

Also, even the inGameIndex logs are not kept in order, as there are holes in the logging mechanism (Logs numbering is: 87-89, 96, 98-108)
if the behavior would have been unison, I would’ve expected to see that there are no holes in the log

Can you reproduce it (exact steps to reproduce): Not 100% repro, but happens to us a lot

Impact for my app: Happens in at least 50% of the logs we request for. We miss a lot of important data which makes us request for more logs (which also return badly)
Do you currently have a workaround? No

Expected behavior:
Let the logs spread more evenly, and keep them by chronological order (this way, I will get more of the logs that I want to see, and get a better picture of what’s going on)

Sample Logs from one of the users: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1uQPgPwx-J4EYjMIsUqQZLwKwCm2BsSMR/view?usp=sharing

1 Like

Hi, and thanks for the feedback.

We will check the issue and we will update you here.

Thanks.

1 Like

Hi,

We added the bug to our backlog. Currently, there is no ETA, but I will update you here once the fix is released.

Thanks.

Is there any ETA on this issue?
We are Expriencing more and more cases like these when we get logs from users

here’s an example of our logs directory from a user:

as you can see, the user’s in_game_notification has logs since december 15th, where as background has logs several logs since december 15th

it’s giving us quite a hard time on debugging production issues that our users are facing

@shir.brass i will discuss the prioritization with the team and let you know.

1 Like

@shir.brass We scheduled the fix for iteration 0.166.

Thanks.

1 Like

The issue should be solved in OW v0.165.

The version will be available this week (in the developer’s channel).

Thanks.

1 Like

@shir.brass version 0.165 with the fix released in the dev channel.

I’m closing the ticket for now. If you need to reopen in the future, mention me.

Thanks.

1 Like

@eransharv is this released yet?
I noticed you have started releasing version 165 but haven’t seen anything regarding this issue in Changelog

@shir.brass it should be releaded to this:

Please update me if the issue is solved.

1 Like

We have validated the issue and indeed the cap was increased.
However, the issue is not resolved.

After further examination, it appears like Overwolf deletes old logs on restart.
yet somehow, some logs get priority over others.

in the screenshot above you can see that all log files are reset except inGameIndex.

Expectation:
we would like the log not to reset on computer restart (as it has valuable information)

@shir.brass To clarify - you mean that you would expect that if the log size is under 5Mb, it will not delete any of the logs. Is that correct?

correct

and also, if the size is over 5mb, delete them chronologically (delete oldest log first)

OK I will reopen it to check. thanks

1 Like

@shir.brass to clarify - the fix is that the limit was changed from 1Mb to 3Mb (5Mb limit is for dumps) - do we still have this issue for < 3Mb logs?

yes, this issue still occurs regardless of size as far as I know

Hi. Currently, we tested it, and also the QA tested it and without any findings. It looks like it’s working as expected.

Thanks.

We’ve test it on our end, and it’s still not working.

Steps:
1.Open the following path : C:\Users\97252\AppData\Local\Overwolf\Log\Apps\Outplayed
2.Relaunch overwolf
3.Observe what files are deleted

before:

after:

+1 also for me.

Receive logs from users with missing files. and it’s hard to debug.

We will recheck it. Thanks.

@itayG FYI.