OBS fails to record when failed to load AAC encoder

Issue Description:
Whenever OBS fails to load the “CoreAudio AAC encoder” it fails to start recording.
this is the error we see in OBS logs

[CoreAudio encoder]: CoreAudio AAC encoder not installed on the system or couldn't be loaded

This error is not bubbling to us, even though it can be seen in OW logs.

We will consider this issue resolved by one of the following solutions:

1. Making sure that the encoder is loaded & fixing it in OBS
  2. Bubbling a proper error that indicates that this issue has occured so we can respond to it

Can you reproduce it (exact steps to reproduce): No
Impact for my app: the issue is fatal but we don’t know how many users experience it.
We do know that some users have experienced this issue as they have contacted support (and support contacted us)
Do you currently have a workaround? No

User Logs: OverwolfLogs_2021-09-22_12-48-14 (1).zip (260.4 KB)

1 Like
  1. Do you manually set a video encoder or some other validations on the chosen encoder? I mean before you start to capture.
  2. Didn’t you get the onCaptureError on these cases?

We do.

as far as I can see from the log, it has to do with the Audio encoder, not the Video encoder.

No, in these cases we don’t get any error and the start process appears to be hanging.

In addition, we don’t think that the issue is related to this error - as we can see this error in our logs without any crashes.

To get some progress, we will need a crash dump (%localappdata%\Overwolf\CrashDumps).
Without it, it will be hard to find the root cause.

I’ll let support know as we have not experienced it first hand yet

So based on what you’re saying, this error is just background noise and not the actual error/issue?

After consulting with the R&D, it looks like that the error is background noise, yes.
I can’t guarantee that, of course in 100%. We need the dumps to extract more info on the crashes (hopefully).