[overwolf.streaming.start] Unexpected Error : System.NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object

Issue Description:
when we call overwolf.streaming.start, we usually get a good response and we start recording.
recently, we started receiving the following error:

"Unexpected Error : System.NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object.\r\n at OverWolf.Client.Core.Capture.Settings.applyEncoderSettings(BaseVideoOptions videoParameters, StreamingVideoOptions& videoOptions, String& error)\r\n at OverWolf.Client.Core.Capture.Settings.CreateGeneralSettingsCommon(BaseStreamParams odkStreamParams, eStreamType provider, StreamParams& outStreamParams, String& error)\r\n at OverWolf.Client.Core.Capture.Settings.CreateGeneralSettings(StreamParams odkStreamParams, eStreamType provider, StreamParams& outStreamParams, String& error)\r\n at OverWolf.Client.Core.ODKv2.OverwolfStreaming.OverrideSettings(StreamSettings i_Settings, StreamParams& o_streamParam, JSFunctionDescriptor i_Callback)\r\n at OverWolf.Client.Core.ODKv2.OverwolfStreaming.OnStartVideo(eStreamType provider, StreamSettings settings, JSFunctionDescriptor callback)\r\n at OverWolf.Client.Core.ODKv2.OverwolfStreaming.<>c__DisplayClass16_0.b__0()"

this is rather sporadic, but once a user starts getting this issue, they cannot recover from it.

I’ve compared user’s logs and the issue occurs regardless of the type of video encoder that you’re using.
furthermore, all users that I was able to see their logs started experiencing the issue around April 26th-27th

Can you reproduce it (exact steps to reproduce): Unfortunately not.

Impact for my app: Very high. 14K DAU cannot record and the numbers keep rising.

Do you currently have a workaround? No

Logs 1: ow_38ad1445-5131-4c6d-8a35-1ff58e060208-2021-04-28-16-21-57.zip (2.1 MB)
Issues started @ 2021-04-27 08:32:09,387
Logs 2: ow_8f845465-c989-4a18-9387-9bdd341445c9-2021-04-28-18-44-48.zip (3.2 MB)
Issues started @ 2021-04-26 18:58:47,504
Logs 3: ow_c28ab9ba-4fcf-42cd-b3c3-1e3960a82daf-2021-04-28-22-35-14.zip (1.3 MB)
Issues started @ 2021-04-26 15:23:23,030
Logs 4: ow_7f78e7cf-87ce-4e09-8470-7b572c6ef784-2021-04-28-16-20-31.zip (1.0 MB)
Issues started @ 2021-04-27 08:32:09,387

1 Like

We are checking it.

Thanks

1 Like

Hi @shir.brass, the R&D just built it this morning in0.169, not sure when it’ll get released.

Thanks

1 Like

hi, can you please update the status?

Thanks

From what I can see, the volume of errors has indeed decreased but has not disappeared entirely since said release. (I’ve DMed you the detailed results)

I want to track this issue for a couple more days and see where do we stand before I can say that the issue was fully resolved

OK, as currently, I’m waiting for your feedback is there will be any further issue - I will go ahead and close this ticket, and if you find that there is still an issue in a few days or weeks - please reopen it (mention me).

Thanks

1 Like

I’ve checked our logs and indeed the NullReferenceException decreased in volume to around 2K daily errors (used to be 14K daily errors).
However, instead, we are getting this generic error:

Something is wrong with the video settings. Please fix it and try again.

As far as I know, this new error started when the NullReferenceException started declining and the symptoms appear to be the same (for the same video settings, you may sometime succeed, and sometime fail)

HI @shir.brass,

First of all - please reproduce and attach your logs.
Second - from my understanding, it means that the encoders are not ready yet, or you are using non-valid encoders.

Please make sure in your code that before you are starting the capture, you are calling overwolf.streaming.getStreamEncoders and make sure that you are using a valid and enabled encoder? If it not valid yet, you can use the overwolf.streaming.onSupportedEncodersUpdated event that tells you when it’s ready. I see that it’s not documented this event, so that I will add it now.

Closing the ticket due to lack of response. If it still happens and you need our support, please mention me and include all details (please follow the steps I supplied above).

The null reference no longer happens
Sorry for the late update

1 Like