Possibility of Overwolf on MacOS

• Feature Description: Allowing MacOS support for Overwolf
  • impact for my app: show-stopper
  • My Current Issue is I was planning next year to transition to curse-forge to begin making add-ons for various games, but I have recently found that curse and Overwolf are merging; Issue is I am also a gamer on MacOS which Overwolf currently has no support for. Being a Competitive League and WoW Player, the loss of add-ons is an absolute blow. I would enjoy if Overwolf would incorporate MacOS Support soon, especially as the new WoW expansion is dropping quite quickly and you might lose potential customers.
  • I have a few ideas to solve it, if you don’t mind me saying from my opinion. Possibly incorporating a MacOS version soon after release of the merged apps, with possibly a different team to manage bugs on mac. A possibly different approach to actually integrating the app, although potentially more expensive is by creating multiple versions of the program in different source trees with seperate source code. Another way to actually integrate is using an app called Juce which is a C++ application framework, use to write native software on multiple systems including Microsoft windows or MacOS. There are also multiple other apps out there that can achieve this purpose such as Ultimate++, Mono or Unity. I hope to not have scared you off with this long suggestion, but I hope to have suggested Ideas that may help for my benefit and for others aspiring to make add-ons for various games, without being restricted by platform

Hey, @Ammardian Hey, and welcome!

This issue discussed in a previous ticket: Overwolf for mac OS - #9 by eransharv, So with your permission, I will paste the comment of our mods community manager, @Gilgi:

1. We’re currently handling the transfer from Twitch with minimal changes apart from several Ux/Ui features. Once CurseForge is up and running we will take it from there - this includes the API which we will have to figure whether it’ll be open or not.
  2. We will initially develop the app for Windows before executing for Mac/Linux environments.

Additional Resources:
Road Map Board Link: https://trello.com/b/Slaz6xBq/curseforge-roadmap
CurseForge Idea Portal https://curseforge-ideas.overwolf.com/

Anyway, we appreciate your ideas, and I will forward it to the R&D team. Please fill free to continue the discussion here.
Eran.

Did i write that?
gg! :smiley:

1 Like

If i have understood your response correctly, This means that Mac users that have used your Add-on function in the Twitch App will no longer be able to have a desk top app to manage add ons at all?

Sorry but are you insane to remove mod tab on twitch withourt any solution for macos user ? Sorry for follwoing message but your dev-management is crap! You got such an monopol software and suddenly work like beginners. There should be more time where the twitch client could support the mac users for a n estimation time longer than 3 month+ after your release of this app. That would help your dev’s to manage the following problems of the major part of our community. Bt they also get more time for the abandoned macos users, so you can create a macos app much easier. hard breaks will generate hate on changes! But we all agree we have to use your clients because nobody does it better YET! Watch for your users not for technical achievemnts^^ so hope you understand my friends and my own opinion. I am just an Developer since 9+ years and trust me “community driven dev” pays off :wink:

Hey there, I’ve answered this query in the Ideas Portal, answering in short here as well:
We’re releasing the first MacOS alpha version this week, a public alpha version the week after and hope to release another iteration before Twitch sunsetting Dec. 2nd.
during this time Twitch will continue to support Addon and Mods.
The MacOS is important to us and is part of our commitment to the community :slight_smile:

Hey there,
apologize for the canned answer, since this was asked several times -
We’re releasing the first MacOS alpha version this week, a public alpha version the week after and hope to release another iteration before Twitch sunsetting Dec. 2nd. During this time Twitch will continue to support Addon and Mods so you can enjoy the upcoming Shadowlands expansion.
We have requested the banner that is now shown in the Twitch client to be updated to include this information (once again, public MacOS client coming Nov. 17th)

The MacOS client is important to us and is part of our commitment to the community :slight_smile: