Testing Sample App with a different game with no success

Hello, I just found out about Overwolf and I’m messing around trying to see what can be made with it. I was trying to test it with a game I usually play: Ghost Recon: Wildlands.

For that test I downloaded the Sample App and change the manifest.json to contain the game_ids found in the GameList xml file correspondent to the game I want.

"game_targeting": {
      "type": "dedicated",
      "game_ids": [
      ]
    },
    "game_events": [
    ],
    "launch_events": [
      {
        "event": "GameLaunch",
        "event_data": {
          "game_ids": [
          ]
        },
        "start_minimized": true
      }
    ]

The thing is, it’s not working. I think it’s related to the launcher. On the GameList file there’s two possibilities:

<ID>109041</ID>
  <GameTitle>Ghost Recon: Wildlands</GameTitle>
  <DisplayName>Tom Clancy's Ghost Recon: Wildlands</DisplayName>
  <ProcessNames>
      <string>GRW.exe</string>
  </ProcessNames>
  <LuancherNames>
      <string>Steam.exe</string>
  </LuancherNames>
  <ID>109042</ID>
  <GameTitle>Ghost Recon: Wildlands</GameTitle>
  <DisplayName>Tom Clancy's Ghost Recon: Wildlands</DisplayName>
  <ProcessNames>
      <string>GRW.exe</string>
  </ProcessNames>
  <LuancherNames>
      <string>Uplay.exe</string>
  </LuancherNames>

I’m using Ubisoft Connect since Uplay has been discontinued. Is there a way to add it there? Am I missing something?

Hey @douglasouza,

It’s great to have you on board.
Note that Ghost Recon: Wildlands is supported only in overlay but not in-game events.
Please read about the differences between game events support and overlay support:

https://overwolf.github.io/docs/api/games-ids#what-is-an-overwolf-supported-game

TLDR: you can use OW as an overlay on thousands of games (all the games in the game list file), but you can get the game events from only specific games. Therefore, only mentioning the game ID in the manifest is not enough. You should make sure that the game supports OW game events.

I hope it’s clear and makes sense.

Thanks

I understand, but I thought I could build an overlay independently from game events.

Maybe I’m missing the point.

If I’m correct, what would I need to do to have an overlay not related to in-game events appearing at my game screen?

@douglasouza If you want just an Overlay, so yes, it’s probably a launcher issue that we need to handle in the game list file. Let me check it and update you.

Thanks.

Ok. Thanks in advance!

Hey @douglasouza,

We decided to enable support for this game, as requested.
But - because this game has low demand from our users and enabling it takes time and resources - I categorized it as a low priority, which means it can take two months until we get to this task.

Thanks.