Unexpected HIGH_CPU_USAGE and incorrect plugin behavior

One of our users got issue with incorrect in-game replays capture without any visible reasons and there is a lot of “perfomance_high_cpu_usage” capture warnings in log files. Instead of captured kills user got some random moments replays which is not related to in-game events

Unfortunately there is no clear steps to reproduce, because of absolute commonness of usage: regular start, regular gameplay, regular gaming applications runnign during session and high-perfomance pc that must be able to provide neccessary power for plugin to work correctly.

Game: Apex Ledends

Common plugin work flow:

  1. Launch Overwolf
  2. Launch supported game
  3. Just play, all the kills will be captured and stored in your user’s video folder

User pc:

NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2060
Intel® Core™ i7-10700K CPU

Overwolf.zip (631.7 KB)

Hey @Vlad.Villevald,

I noticed that the user has the new NVIDIA streaming service (NVIDIA Broadcast) running at the same time as Overwolf.
The full process path that Overwolf detected is: C:\Program Files\NVIDIA Corporation\NVIDIA Broadcast\NVIDIA Broadcast.exe
It’s possible that the process is running in the background without the service actually streaming, but I would check that with the user, see if he can test it by closing it.

1 Like

I’ve got some information about this case from user. As he said he use NVIDIA broadcast for sound noise reduction not for capturing or streaming. By the way it uses GPU, not CPU and we have hight cpu usage warnings. So i guess there shoud be any another issue, because stopping broadcast process didn’t help

The error does not usually refer to CPU usage in particular. The error is phrased differently in ow_obs logs, and describes a high resource usage in general:

This is also evident in the OverwolfPerf.txt file that shows a high usage of RAM by the recorder:

I couldn’t identify anything else that would explain this issue on Overwolf’s side.
I would still suggest closing NVIDIA broadcast, and any other unessential programs that the user has running, just as test.
What also convinces me that this is a local issue is that it’s inconsistent. For instance, the log file ow_obs_2020-12-08_16-36-06-p18060.txt does not mention any high resource usage at all.

If there’s anything else you would like me to look into - let me know!

1 Like

I am closing this issue due to a lack of response.
You can always ask to reopen it by mentioning me with a @.