Uninstall options that runs on Application uninstall

• Feature Description:
    So this is a weird feature request, since the goal ofc is for users NOT to uninstall application from Overwolf. But if a user for some reason decided to uninstall the app it would be good if we could have some actions.
    I’m mainly thinking about apps that store data in %localappdata%. Currently if I decided that the application should store settings files etc in %localappdata% it would also be good if I could tell the app to also clear said folder on uninstall so that the end user don’t have “garbage” still on their computer.

But there could be other use cases as well. Like give the user a window during uninstall with a “Thanks for trying our product.”

Or for some reason the app has stored faulty values for some reason and the user tries a re-install it can clear said faulty files for a fresh re-install.

• impact for all apps: low
  • What is your current pain point? No pain. Just good app practice to clean up after itself if removed.
  • What do you have in mind to solve it? It probably needs an addition to the actual overwolf client that reads from the application manifest being uninstalled if it has any commands to be run on uninstall.

You could also “lock” the app to only get write permission to a sandbox like %localappdata%/overwolf/apps/{appID}/ that gets created on install and on uninstall that folder gets removed. But you can still “read” files from the rest of the local filesystem like if you need to parse a games config file for hotkeys etc.

note for staff: after FR is accepted, add a link to the internal ticket.

Good idea but please don’t lock the write and read permission to a specific folder.
This can be very problematic for some apps.

Also, some users may want to keep the settings/data in case of reinstall so maybe we need a way to ask them before cleaning.

@uzi @StreamGameLabels it’s already in our backlog, although there is no ETA yet.

internal: bugz/issue/PLAN-262

1 Like

@eransharv Yeah I guessed you’d already thought about it =) You can probably close this topic then.

@uzi I only mean the write could be locked to an app specific sandbox as I wrote above. Not being able to read some games configuration files etc could ofc be problematic, but do you need to write to anywhere on the filesystem?

// Joakim

@StreamGameLabels yes I’m :slight_smile:

As in OW client v0.142 we implemented:

Cleanup upon uninstall:

• Delete extension folder upon uninstall extension.
  • Clear all extension windows proprieties from setting.
  • Clear localstorage.

I’m closing this ticket.

1 Like

While this solves most of the cleanup (data stored in indexedDB would will still stay there I think?), it doesn’t adress the use case to ask a user for its reason of uninstalling or external cleanup.

Is this something that requires a new Ticket? As that would be basically a duplicate of this one

@Colorfulstan the UX changes that require asking the user will require a new feature request ticket. I’m afraid so. As it totally different ticket than this one.

Regarding the indexedDB - that’s a good question… Maybe @tom.wolf can help here:
Tom, when uninstalling an app, the localstorage is deleted, etc. But what about indexedDB

No, we do not currently remove the app’s indexedDB upon uninstall.
@itayG - please add this to our backlog.

@Colorfulstan, so we will add this feature too - delete the indexedDB upon uninstall.
Regarding your other request - please add a new ticket if you are interested, and we will discuss that.

1 Like