XHR request to non supported protocols via iFrame has no result

Related app/team name (not a must if you want to keep it private):

Issue Description:
Our app runs in an iFrame and we use xhr requests to load videos using overwolf-fs:// protocol. If we don’t use that protocol the xhr doesn’t return and result, not even an error!
The real problem is this sometimes happen even with the right protocol!! Some users can’t load videos because of that.

Can you reproduce it (exact steps to reproduce):
I have an available user that can reproduce this 100% of the times.

Impact for my app: [e.g. x% of the users complained about it, it’s a show-stopper]
An increasing number of users are complaining about this.

Do you currently have a workaround?
We’re going to implement a naive timeout to cover the no result scenarios.

Please upload these users logs if possible.

OverwolfLogs_2021-02-21_10-42-55.zip (3.5 MB)

Ok so if I intentionally remove the “overwolf-fs://” protocol I do get an error but the main issue still remains - some users don’t get any response.
Another issue is that it’s not consistent, after lots of tweaking and hacks I can make it work once but then after refreshing it doesn’t work, refreshing again makes it work. It’s either alternating or broken most often than not.

@LeshM hi,

• I guess that you already checked that ExternallyConnectable is set with the right URLs.
  • What error exactly do you get?
  • It’s not clear to me if it happens on the live version (0.9.9.2406) or an unreleased dev version.
  • Can you please tell me what the steps are to reproduce? How can I see the error in terms of app behavior (movies not loaded, etc.)
  • Do you fail to load content from your site? If so, can you see any error logs on your website? Maybe some certificate errors?
  • I did check that, yes.
  • The error I get if I remove the protocol is a CORS error.
  • I never said anything about a any dev version, I said it happens to our users so we are talking about the live version.
    In any other case, and for our users who experience this issue - THERE IS NO ERROR!
    That’s the issue, there’s no response at all.
    The app behavior is either a blurred thumbnail in the “my clips” view or more commonly a black screen in the editor with the fuze.tv logo on it and the text “file missing”.

@LeshM We are investigating it.

Currently, I was not able to reproduce it on my local machine (v0.166).

• I can see that your logs are version 0.165. Can you please try to reproduce in on 0.166? It’s available on the developer’s channel (but already 15% phased to all users).
  • Please write exactly all the steps to reproduce so that I can forward it as necessary.
  • Can you point exactly when did your users notices this issue?
  • On your servers, have you done any config related to HTTP headers?
  • Can you send me the code block that makes the request?
  • I can’t reproduce it on my local machine either, it only happens to some users.
  • I can’t test the developers channel on the user’s pc
  • The steps are: 1. select a video to edit
  • I don’t think we changed anything related to HTTP headers but I’ll check

I’m checking the issue and update.
One more question: is your server is set to alllow access from all origins (Access-Control-Allow-Origin: *)?

Yes, and again - most of our users don’t have that issue.

@LeshM Currently, I was not able to reproduce it. Can you please attach the user logs (you mentioned that he could reproduce it in 100% of the cases)?

I already attached the user logs 2 days ago

Oh, so sorry, I missed that comment… I can see it now.
Can you please tell me (or DM me) the path you are using for the request? I might need it for testing.

Here are logs from another user this happens to.
OverwolfLogs_2021-02-24_10-25-30.zip (1.2 MB)

The first one was german and this one is italian… just an FYI, maybe it has something to do with european ISPs or VPNs they use? idk…

This is an example of a path that is being loaded via XHR:
“overwolf-fs://C:/Users/Marco/Videos/Overwolf/Fuze.tv/Rainbow 6 Siege/Rainbow 6 Siege_02-23-2021_20-51-15-582/Rainbow 6 Siege 02-23-2021 21-59-22-947.mp4”

when using WebAPI fetch instead of XMLHttpRequest I do get an error (only with these users):
TypeError: failed to fetch

Thanks, @LeshM. I will investigate it and update you.

1 Like

FYI this issue is picking up a lot of traction O_O

On it. I will update you later today.

Update here as well: our R&D is working on it. I will update here.