Bluetooth support

• Feature Description:
    It would be really great to be able to use the Web Bluetooth API while creating apps.

• impact for my app: [low, mid, high, show-stopper]
    Show-stopper, not able to communicate with bluetooth devices with overwolf.

• What is your current pain point?
    Really frustrating

• What do you have in mind to solve it?
    maybe update the chromium version used or change parameters that might allow that

Hi!
So, after looking into it further, it seems like it will not be possible to simply update some versions/enable some flags in order to support this. It will be a much much bigger undertaking than that.
As such, we were wondering if you could elaborate on what it is exactly that you need from the web bluetooth api, to see if:
a - it might be possible to achieve those things differently
b - if we might be able to implement those individual features in some way, in order to help with this usecase

1 Like

Hi, thanks for replying !

And the end goal would be te be able to communicate with a microcontroller (esp32 in my case), or any bluetooth in order to make them react with the game events.
Wich would be a great thing to improve the players immersion by adding some connected devices that interact in real time with the game

a - I don’t know if other ways of communication might be possible, but i can’t imagine which
b- Just the abillity to send data through bluetooth would be amazing !

Gabin

Sounds interesting.
In that case, there are two possible approaches that I can think of, although they’re rather similar:

1. This sounds like a classic use-case for an app plugin. You can read more about those over here
  2. We can try and create a basic api for this, essentially just integrating point 1. directly into the overwolf API.

The former will take more work on your side, but will probably be orders of magnitude faster to deliver, since the latter would not be too high a priority, as this is a rather exotic use-case.

And as an aside, while outside the scope of this feature request, I’d also recommend to always make sure that users are aware if their system has bluetooth support or not before they get “invested” in the app, to avoid user friction.

Hope this helps!

1 Like