[Teamfight Tactics] OBS game capture setting causes large delay in getting game info

Related app/team name (not a must if you want to keep it private): MetaTFT
Issue Description: When a user has OBS in game capture mode, requesting game info and registering for events has a large delay
Can you reproduce it (exact steps to reproduce):
[This affects TFT but may also impact League. Testing was done on PBE server in 1v0 mode to quickly start multiple games]

1. Load PBE client and load into 1v0 game. Call overwolf.games.events.getInfo() in a setInterval loop and observe how many attempts it takes to get correct info.
  2. Start OBS and add a source. Source should be “Game Capture” > “Create New” > “Capture Specific Window”. Window name should be “League of Legends.exe”, other settings can be default.
  3. Exit the 1v0 game and requeue, with the game being captured this time. Compare how long it takes to get the correct info. This delay also impacts registering for events & having overlay windows show.

(You may also see that the game_info response looks like this: {“success”:true,“status”:“success”,“info”:null}
which caused crashes as I was relying on “success”:true to mean the format would be correct.)

Impact for my app: [e.g. x% of the users complained about it, it’s a show-stopper]
Do you currently have a workaround?
High. A lot of streamers switched to using Blitz app as this issue was causing windows to not load at all. I have coded a workaround to keep checking for game info for longer, but the delay is still there.

Please reproduce and attach a zip package of your OW client logs
Please mention the time of the event so we can find it easily in the logs
OverwolfLogs_2021-11-15_09-44-17.zip (1.3 MB)
The most recent data is me queueing into a 1v0 game with obs on.

According to the logs you provided, the last game started running at 2021-11-15 09:33:00 and the first event came around 2021-11-15 09:33:15 (which makes sense, since there’s a few seconds delay caused by the loading screen)

The game before that started at 2021-11-15 09:20:24 and the first event was provided at 2021-11-15 09:20:26 which looks too fast (maybe you entered an already running match?)

The game before I believe was the same circumstances but I didn’t have OBS running. The load screens are very short in 1v0. The load screen was a similar length but that 15 seconds delay is being caused by OBS running, not loading times

Edit: The most recent match should have started at 09:41:56, and the first event came through at 09:42:10

1. Do you see these delays also in real games?
  2. If possible, please send us a video that shows the delay (open the devtools console in-game while waiting for the first event)

Yes these are also experienced in real games. Actually the dev console & other overlay windows don’t even show up until those 15 seconds are passed but I can try to record a video with and without obs and show the difference.

You can see these mesages in the logs when OBS running:
[GEP] game info updated - unknown renderer, waiting…

If you want to replicate on your end it might be quite easy - if you run the metatft app and see how long it takes for the windows to appear, with and without obs running, when you load into game

Videos sent via dm in slack

I am closing this issue due to a lack of activity.
You can always ask to reopen it by mentioning me with a @.

Thanks.